Saturday, January 28, 2012

Work Ethic 101

Extracurricular sports.  When your child is involved, so are you.  To an extent you never imagined possible.  My daughter played club/ HS soccer, club/HS swimming, HS track, club Lacrosse, played Violin in district Orchestra and participated in Art Club. Year 2009 added an American Foreign Exchange Student , my incredible girl, Inken who played soccer, diving and lacrosse.  All of which I showed up to participate in. And actively supported with my checkbook .

And I am not complaining. Some of the most important moments of my life happened on the field/at the game.  Winning goal against Madeira 2009...my daughter(assist). Alternate for State Swim team (she ended up having to swim because 3 members of the team got suspended).  She  received the Archie Griffin Sportsmanship Award and also the Warrior Award (most leadership oriented player) her 2009-2010 season. The Most Improved award for Inken who learned something like 17 dives to compete in the High School District meet (she had not been a Diver before).

All this time and energy and expense.  Is she a collegiate athlete now?  NO.  Do I care?  Maybe a little.  But very little. She loves college and she actually has 2 jobs and likes "working".  Imagine that, a young woman who says, "l would rather work enough hours to pay back my loans than take a partial scholarship, which probably wouldn't cover my time to run on the track team".  She still may decide to run track at some point - I know she misses the team effort - and if so - I will probably make the 3 hour trip to watch. I'm so tired of listening to politicians bitch about over-spoiled college students who don't want to work and slide through on loans. But the message any parent should take from this...extracurricular matters. Encourage it. Pay for it. Do it.


No comments: