Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation...

I'm going to admit that I have watched Eat Pray Love at least 12 times.  And  will probably watch it many more.  The book has been read as well. Which is even better than the movie. I can so relate to Liz Gilbert in the story.  My life is at a crossroads and 2012 will bring many changes.  I would love nothing more than to pack all my shit into a 12x12 box and move to Italy...but the reality is that I'm a mom and the breadwinner (as little as my bread is) and taking off for a year isn't in the stars. Or my budget.  I've lived in the same house and neighborhood for the past 16 years and put the second floor on our little home. My daughter and I picked every tile, paint color, fixture and hardwood plank up there. And now we are losing it all.  I gave it everything I had (and a lot I didn't); but it will now go back to the bank.  So, I'm moving downtown to fulfill a lifelong dream of living in a city. My new digs will be a 650 sf second floor apartment. I've decided to blog about the upcoming move and changes in my life. I'm not much of a writer; but I think it will keep me from spinning out of control and stay focused on what's truly important.  I have a roof over my head (and my dogs' & my kid's heads), I'm healthy and employed. My house holds so many precious memories, but is now an albatross around my neck and a source of financial ruin.  The quote from Eat Pray Love about "Ruin being a gift; ruin is the road to transformation" holds special meaning for me now.

My daughter got me this book for Christmas.  I'm just going to go on faith and agree with her.

2 comments:

toddmac said...

You should also add "friends who love me" to the list of things you have - and always will have no matter what else you no longer have.

bethechange21 said...

thank you, Todd. I need to remember that as well. I tend to never ask for help from my friends. Too bad you don't live closer..you could help me MOVE! :)